Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Oh. My. Goodness.

Wow. Wow. Wow. I just had the most delicious drink. I finally found a way to get over my hate of the treadmill. And I when I came back to my apartment, I had this amazing drink to quench my thirst. You could call it homemade ginger ale. You could call it green tea ginger twist, sans tea. You could call it a way to make club soda not only tolerable but also delicious. Whatever you call it, have it...Now.

(I promise, this is my next to last ginger post, and then I'll give it a rest, for awhile.)


First you need to make some ginger syrup. Boil 1 cup of sugar in one cup of water, along with 2-3 tablespoons of fresh ginger. Let the syrup chill at least overnight. Pour a glass of club soda and add the ginger syrup to taste. Enjoy with a straw, like one of these cute ones HEB gave me a million years ago.

I've seen a couple of recipes for this with things like lemon grass and fresh chilli peppers. I plan to experiment with these additions.

UPDATE: Some people have asked how much syrup to a glass. For me, not too much. I added maybe a tablespoon to 12 ounces of club soda. Also, you can strain out the ginger if you don't like it floating around in your drink. I don't mind that, but I can see how others might.

5 comments:

HEB said...

This looks tasty. Although I do like club soda on its own.

Elizabeth said...

I'm mostly curious why you had club soda sitting around if you dislike it so. But this does remind me of the time I made mint syrup and added plain fizzy water to it and was pretty happy.

kzwick said...

I bought the club soda for this purpose. And now I curse the fact that the CVS in my building does not sell club soda. I bought sparkling water there instead, but it was sweetened, tasting sort of like clearly canadian (remember that). tasted ok, but was not acceptable for ginger ale making.

HEB said...

I hate sweetened sparkling water.

kzwick said...

yes, fizzy sparkling water is not really okay. Fortunately, I found some club soda at CVS. Weirdly it was in a place today where it was not before.