Sunday, November 15, 2009

Fried dough = yes


So, SK posted about some apple cider donuts. Knowing heb, I forwarded them to her. And then, when we had 12 hours to spend together, we spent 6 of them making donuts. I thought it would be disastorous, but it turned out MIRACULOUS (though our waistlines might argue otherwise.)

I wouldn't double the recipe next time, unless there were more than two people involved, but damn, these were delicious.

I think the cinnamon sugar topping was best (the apple cider was rather tart), and yes, you do need that whole thing of Crisco. I'm sorry too.

4 comments:

HEB said...

These donuts were amazing and made me think that I should make donuts every weekend.

But I was telling CH today that they weren't really seasonal because apple cider vinegar is always around. And she pointed out that the recipe called for apple cider, not apple cider vinegar. And I went to check at SK, and she was right. (As, I guess, CH usually is.) Neither the recipe or the glaze actually call for apple cider vinegar. Both *do* call for apple cider.

Oh well. As CH points out, it's good to know that you can make these (but not the glaze) with apple cider vinegar and have no ill effects.

CH said...

I am SO jealous!!! I have wanted to make these since I saw the recipe a few weeks ago, just haven't mustered up the block of time that I imagine it would take to make them. Knowing that you can both attest that they are incredible does make them even more appealing, as I don't have to fear I'll put in the effort for an undesirable end result.

kzwick said...

Wow. These look amazing. I too have been wanting to make homemade donuts. I did see a baked variation that I may try at some point, but I am sure they are not nearly as delicious as these.

Elizabeth said...

Wait, seriously?? Why did we both thing apple cider vinegar was correct? You know, that glaze would be a lot tastier with apple cider itself and not the vinegar.....