Friday, November 27, 2009

not port wine sauce

RJ's recent chicken post inspired me to type up a ravioli sauce that I made couple of weeks ago. It was remarkably simple and turned out pretty well. The idea came from a sauce I had at Viva Fresh Pasta, which I visited with EW and then with my mom. If you're ever in Northampton, you too should go!

1/ Over medium-high heat, reduce about half a bottle of red wine to a half cup. (I used some Malbec that I'd opened before I got ill and then had never drunk. The fact that it had been open for over a month didn't seem to matter.)
2/ Pour reduced wine into a bowl; set aside.
3/ In same pan, heat about 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add about 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Stir.
4/ When sugar begins to caramelize, pour the reduced wine back into the pan. Stir thoroughly.
5/ Let the sauce caramelize until desired consistency.
6/ Add salt and pepper to taste.
7/ Serve over ravioli (I used butternut squash).

I think that it was a mistake to top these ravioli with parmesan. When I reheated the leftovers, I didn't and I thought that it was much better. If I wanted to be fancy, I might caramelize some walnuts or pecans and maybe some onions to top the ravioli.

2 comments:

kzwick said...

This sauce looks really great. I've been trying to think of a tasty sauce that is not brown butter for the gnocchi in my freezer. I think I'll give this a try.

CH said...

Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing! I have been looking for a sauce (not tomato-based) that would go well with ravioli, so perhaps I will now be inspired to actually get some raviloi.