Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Veggie Samosas


This is my own adaptation of the meat recipe to accommodate all the vegetarians in my life. I personally don't think it's quite as good as the meat version, but still rather tasty. If any of you make them, you should feel free to experiment with different quantities of spice and the consistency of the potato to make this recipe better. With that, here's my made-up recipe.


Ingredients:
- 1.5 pounds yukon gold potatoes (I used these because I had them for the pizza. I've also used red with success. My only advice is to avoid Idaho because they are a bit too gummy).
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped but not minced
- About 2 table spoons olive oil (I've never measured it, but you need enough to coat the potatoes in the spices)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¾ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¾ teaspoon tumeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (can be subbed with more black)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt (maybe a little more, I don't measure it)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 bag of frozen peas
- 1 package of philo dough
- enough butter to brush the tops

Preparation:

1. Peel and chop the potatoes into little pieces. I tried to get them to be not much larger than peas, but it's not a huge problem if they are.
2. Place chopped potatoes, onion, and garlic in a plastic bag. Add oil and all the spices (including salt). Shake the bag well so that the potatoes are well coated with seasoning.
3. Bake potatoes until they are soft (about 45 minutes) at 400. I put them on a silpat to minimize the mess. Once the potatoes are soft (they should be ready to eat), take them out of the oven and let them cool. When they are cool, add the peas. The peas need not be cooked, but they should be mostly thawed. Stir the mixture so you have a nice distribution of potato and pea.
4. Cut the philo dough into four long strips (2 inches wide). To assemble, place about one tablespoon of filling onto the end of the philo dough. Fold into triangles like folding a flag. You should use about 2 sheets of philo for each one. Place triangles onto cookie sheet with end facing down. Brush tops with butter and bake for about 10 minutes at 400, until golden brown.

No comments: