Monday, October 22, 2007

easy-peasy baked tofu

Per kzwick's request, here's my favorite tofu-for-non-tofu-eaters recipe. It's super easy. Non-tofu eaters love it. (And so do tofu eaters.) Just don't serve it with ketchup. Please.


Ingredients:
Water-packed firm or extra-firm tofu
Soy sauce
Oil (vegetable or sesame)
Peanut sauce

1/ Press tofu for 10-20 minutes. (Technically, you should probably cut tofu into pieces first and then press, but I'm lazy, so this is what I do.)
2/ Cut tofu into pieces. (I usually cut a block of tofu into 6 slabs and then cut each slab into 2 squares and each square into 2 triangles for a total of 24 pieces from each block. But you can cut them however you like.)
3/ Make a marinade of 1 part soy sauce to 1 part sesame or vegetable oil. (For 1 lb of tofu, you should probably use about 2 tbsp. of each.)
4/ Dredge each tofu piece in the marinade.
5/ Optional: arrange the tofu in a single layer in a shallow dish and pour remaining marinade over it. Let sit for 20-30 minutes.
6/ Preheat the oven to 425.
7/ Oil the bottom of a baking dish or rimmed baking sheet with about 1 tbsp. vegetable oil. (It will seem like a little too much oil. That is okay.)
8/ Lay tofu pieces in a single layer on baking dish/sheet.
9/ Bake for about 15 minutes. Turn. Bake for about 15 minutes more. (Obviously, if you cut your tofu into smaller pieces, you should bake for less time. You can also cut up some red peppers into thin slices and bake them in the same dish and at the same time as the tofu. I don't do this because I'm not a red pepper fan. But I'm sure it would be nice.)
10/ Serve with peanut sauce. (I often serve this with my sesame noodle recipe, which is basically peanut sauce on noodles with cucumber and carrot strips.)

1 comment:

kzwick said...

Thanks HEB! I love that there is a "
for keren" label in this blog.