Thursday, October 18, 2007

Banana Cupcakes!

I decided to make banana cupcakes for Jill's birthday tomorrow (for the morning portion of the celebration). It was my first time actually making zwick's banana cake recipe. I made 24 cupcakes without a problem. Zwick did warn me that the baking time for the cupcakes should be less than that for the actual cake - the cake recipe suggests a baking time of 30 - 35 minutes and the cupcakes were in the oven for less than 25 minutes. I actually had to ask zwick about the frosting recipe. I guess I had always imagined that the coffee flavor was the result of coffee grounds, but it turns out (as perhaps all of you knew) that you actually add 1/2 cup brewed coffee! Here's the final result (on an adorable platter I might add):



On a tangentially related note, I received a surprise thank you gift in the mail today from my friend Theresa. For those of you who don't know, Theresa and her friends ran the marathon this year and insist that they would not have survived had I not provided them with water and gatorade in the first 10 miles. I obviously didn't expect any sort of thanks, but the gift is pretty fabulous and seemed fitting in light of the fact that I was making chocolate frosting:


5 comments:

kzwick said...

Look at the cute tray holding those cupcakes...

For those who might not otherwise know, this is the banana cake recipe in cupcake form. CH, how long did you cook them? And what did you decide on the icing front?

CH said...

I cooked them for less than 25 minutes - I don't know exactly how long because I didn't return to my running watch that was ticking away until they were well out of the oven and the watch said that 25 minutes had passed since I put them in. I definitely added coffee to the frosting. I didn't want to omit the coffee because everybody likes a little somethin' somethin' in their frosting.

kzwick said...

Okay, I feel like somewhat of an idiot. I posted my first comment after having read only the summary of your original post. Only now did I realize that it wasn't the full thing, and of course the full post say literally everything I said in my comment. One day I will learn...

HEB said...

ewwwwwwww..... coffee grounds in frosting.... that'd be like baking a baby.

Elizabeth said...

"Baking a baby" made me laugh out loud! I highly approve of the somethin' somethin'

I was thinking about making muffins, but I think I might just to the cupcakes and forego the frosting and lie to people and tell them they are muffins. Whahaha!