Thursday, October 8, 2009

Peach Kuchen

This post may be too little too late because peaches are no longer in season, but I wanted to post my family's lovely alternative to peach pie. This recipe comes from my great aunt, and kuchen is German. But, I don't think this qualifies a legit kuchen. Instead, I tend to think of it as a custard, at least when I bake it much longer than my mom does (she likes it runny, I like it firm).

I almost convinced CH to eat it (even though it involves cooked fruit), and apparently I know more than one crazy person who does not like peaches who also refused to try it. But, I maintain, this "pie" is delicious.

Crust Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbs. sour cream

Filling Ingredients:
- 1 quart fresh sliced peaches
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup flour

Crust Instructions:
1. Combine all the crust ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it forms coarse crumbs (like corn meal).
2. Press into a 10 inch spring form pan. Crust should go onto the sides of the spring form.
3. Bake at 375 until golden brown, about 15 minutes (don't over cook, it's going back in the oven again later).

Filling Instructions:
1. Combine all the ingredients together. You can make more filling if you want a deeper dessert. If it seems to runny, add a little more flour or more peaches.
2. Bake at 375. My mom bakes for 35 minutes. I bake for almost an hour. It's done when you take it out and you can shake it and the filling stands up.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

mmmmmmmm! I totally made a plum kuchen (inspired by deb and a vegan blog I read) over the summer. This peach one seems even awesomer. YUM.