Friday, April 24, 2009

this is not that


You know those veggie burgers that you have to slather in cheese, or ketchup, or in other random toppings? Well, this is not that.

This, on the other hand, is a burger that is so amazing that: I am worried that I only made 32 (because that's only 16 days of lunches and dinners and then I'll have to make them again); I ate one at midnight yesterday when I finally finished making them; I had to explain at a dinner party why I had pre-gamed with a veggie burger and was thus not hungry; I am seriously considering eating my third of the day today even though I'm still not hungry.

This is the ultimate veggie burger. You can find the recipe here. My mods were simple: 1/ Doubled the recipe; 2/ Made them 1/3-cup-sized rather than 1/2-cup-sized; 3/ Cooked on my Le Creuset Grill Pan without oil. (Honestly, when I make them again, I will probably stick with the 1/2-cup-size and hope that means that I won't want to eat one after another after another after another.)
I have my mother to thank for finding this recipe. And, honestly, I thought she was making a big deal out of an excessively time-consuming recipe until I ate one over Easter weekend. I can admit when I'm wrong. So as soon as I came out of my flu/sinus infection haze enough to be hungry, I had to make these. My plan was to break them down over three days: 1/ Shop and chop; 2/ boil and saute; 3/ shape and grill. But I ended up compressing into two days because I got too excited to eat them. So, yesterday, I started boiling lentils and cooking bulgur and saute-ing leeks and, five hours later, I had 32 of the best veggie burgers ever. I can't remember the last time I spent five hours cooking and thought that it was as worth it as this.

(If I haven't made it completely clear how I feel about these burgers, you can ask CH, who was on the phone with me for a large chunk of the cooking time, about how distracted I got once I started eating one.)

3 comments:

kzwick said...

wow, the grill marks make these look super authentic!

Valerie said...

wow. five hours?!? but the recipe is so intriguing with all its ingredients, that i might just put in the time!

did you try to freeze any? do they freeze well? i could more easily convince myself to dive in if i could double or triple, freeze them, and enjoy them for weeks rather than just one day.

HEB said...

They freeze beautifully. I think the recipe says to freeze before cooking, but that doesn't work with my lifestyle, so I cooked them before freezing. Then I defrost in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop, depending on whether I'm at home or at work and how hungry I am.

One suggestion though: if you store them in plastic bags like I do (about 12 will fit in a gallon sized bag), remember to close the bag after you take one out of the fridge. They do dry out if given a few days of exposure. (Still tasty, but definitely not as good.)

And I wouldn't recommend tripling, since it would be really unwieldy. Even at double, I had to use my largest soup pot to mix all the ingredients together.