Sunday, April 5, 2009

how many cupcakes can one girl fit in her back seat?

A baby shower for two co-workers left me with a back seat that looked like this:Close-up:I made chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, with vanilla frosting. The vanilla cupcakes are my favorites, from Billy's Bakery via Martha Stewart. (The vanilla frosting was also the vanilla buttercream from the same source.) During law school, I discovered this recipe when a cupcake craving was met with zero New Haven bakeries stocking cupcakes and it's been a favorite ever since. The chocolate recipe was less carefully selected: after I forgot to get sour cream at the grocery store, I searched Martha's website until I found a chocolate cupcake recipe that required neither sour cream nor buttermilk. Here's what I found. I thought they were pretty decent, for using things that were regularly in my cupboard/fridge.

I have to admit, however, that I think the real highlights of these cupcakes were the liners. I found them in a cute paper store in Pasedena, and EW talked me into them. (She was right: they did drastically improve my mood while I was baking.)
And finally, proof as to why if you're going to bother labelling something, you should turn the label towards the front of your freezer.
Sorry, kid. I have no idea what frozen food I delivered to you, but I found the 6 chocolate cupcakes that were intended for you when I started frosting the ones for my office. I almost popped them in the mail, but wasn't sure that you'd have time to eat them pre-Passover...

2 comments:

kzwick said...

This is kind of hilarious. And it makes me wonder what those cupcakes are...I think they might have been pretty old. =)

HEB said...

Hmmm.... well, if you ended up with cupcakes, they must have been from this batch since this is the first time I've made cupcakes since moving to Hartford. I was more worried that you'd ended up with some old pasta sauce or casserole or something.