Sunday, December 13, 2009

Onion Tart

For an appetizer on Thanksgiving, we had this delicious onion tart. I think many of the diners found this to be the best part of the meal, which is sort of funny because it's the tart that almost wasn't. I asked my parents if we needed an appetizer several days before the meal. They both replied that they thought we'd have plenty of food. And then, a few days later, my dad called to ask what my "plan" was for a starter on Thanksgiving, leaving no indication that we'd had the previous conversation. Thanks to Deb, I had this recipe in my back pocket and wanted to give it a try.

We made the onion mixture the night before. We had more than we needed so my dad put the leftovers in the gravy. Then we made the dough as part of our baking morning. I tried to put this tray in my refrigerator, but it didn't fit so we covered it in foil and put it on the balcony until we were ready for it to go in the oven.

Sorry about these lack luster photos. This dish went from this:



to this:



in about 30 seconds (minus, of course, the baking).

4 comments:

Nick said...

oh my god it was scrumptious. amazing. I ate way too much.

Nick said...

did you use the fennell?

kzwick said...

I did use the fennel. We followed the recipe pretty much exactly, though we did use a bit more mustard. It's strange that I like this because I'm not a huge fan of fennel, and too much mustard can be overwhelming. In this case, fortunately, all the flavors come together well.

Elizabeth said...

That looks incredible, and may have to be something I do for Christmas....yum!