Saturday, July 25, 2009

remodeling my kitchen

I'm pretty good at it, if I do say so myself.

Before:

After:


I celebrated the successful remodel by making a batch of brownies from scratch. I have no problem admitting that I rarely see the point in making brownies from scratch when you have Ghiradelli's double chocolate brownie mix available. However, I did not, and I wanted to try the Fudge Brownie Recipe from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook.

Verdict: delicious (even though I'm still thrown off by my one remodeling mistake: replacing the gas stove with an electric one)Here's the recipe with my mods:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used Green & Blacks)
1.5 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used Penzey's double strength)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving a 1 inch overhang on two sides. Set aside.

Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water; stir frequently until chocolate and butter are melted, about 7 minutes. (I heated in the microwave for about a minute at 50% power.)

Remove bowl from heat; let cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes. (I probably let it cool for 5 minutes, while prepping the pan and measuring other ingredients.)

Stir sugar into cooled chocolate mixture until combined. whisk in eggs one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition.

Whisk in vanilla.

Gently fold in flour and salt.

Pour batter into prepared pan, and smooth top with an offset spatula.

Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 40 to 45 minutes. (Took me 35.)

Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

I'm not sure that they were delicious enough to replace Ghiradelli as my go-to brownie, but I'll certainly be pulling these out when I want to be extra impressive. (Ghiradelli does still have the advantage of being less expensive to make since you don't need to purchase butter and chocolate.)

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm confused. Did you tear out a wall??

(I mean, it looks great! But my confusion is paramount.)

HEB said...

And here I thought you were listening to me when I went on and on (and on and on) about my never-ending move.

Elizabeth said...

Surprisingly, you had few Elizabeth-voiced complaints about your move.

HEB said...

Really? Huh. Well, moving over three weeks in a Civic may sound like a good idea, but it actually means that the move hangs over your head for a really long time and you dread going back to the old craphole so much that you seriously wonder if you really need any of the stuff that's there or if you could just abandon it.

The brownies were baked on the day when I finally cleared out so I could say that I never, ever, ever had to go back there again.

kzwick said...

i am kind of shocked that renting an apartment while in CT for the bar was enough to convince you that kitchen A was acceptable for you. further proof that the bar makes people crazy.

but, new place looks lovely. cant wait to see it v. soon!

Elizabeth said...

It is interesting how the kitchen remodel confusion totally stopped me from reading/remembering the rest of this post. Let's not fight about brownies ever again!