Friday, September 19, 2008

things that look like poop

My ex-housemate Gretchen is known for her pithy and accurate life observations. Once, when one of us was apologizing that the dinner we'd made looked like, well, crap, Gretchen pointed out that "we've eaten tons of things that looked like poop and they were fantastic!" That's how I feel about this casserole. It's not much of a looker, but, oh man, is it tasty.
I celebrated my oven being fixed by making up a double recipe of this baby yesterday, which means that I also packaged up lunches for today and all next week.
It's the Caribbean Sweet Potato Gratin from Moosewood New Classics. I don't feel right posting the recipe, because you should all own this cookbook if you don't already. I'm actually trying very hard to think of any cookbook that has made me as happy. Which is saying a lot because I'm very fond of my cookbooks. (Maybe my waffle cookbook. Maybe.) But, basically, it's sweet potatoes, rice, black beans, and spinach layered with a coconut milk/lime juice/garlic/thyme mixture and topped with a cornmeal topping. And fantastic. Just writing about it makes me want to go heat up some. Luckily, I have plenty that didn't get packed into lunches, so that's an option. (If you're really unconvinced about buying New Classics, other people have posted the recipe online, so go to them.)

PS: I am shocked that this blog has gone so long without having a "sweet potato" label. Seriously.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I think I would have been more tempted by this recipe if you had prefaced without the analogy to poop. Thanks!

In other Moosewood New Classics news, I happened to have most of the ingredients for their Moroccan Vegetables last week and it served me and my lunch well. I have also been craving their savory biscotti lately. It's a really good cookbook.