Tuesday, September 30, 2008

shockingly, chocolate chip cookies also make me feel better

See here for my first strategy at cheering myself up. But now I've come home to chocolate chip cookies that I made yesterday and discovered that they are a pretty good way to cheer up as well. Here's the recipe, which is my mom's usual chocolate chip cookie recipe, edited for my personal taste. (Part of my personal taste is doubling the recipe because I tend to think that you might as well double cookie recipes that freeze well.)
ETA: watching the Sox make it into the playoffs also helps. Thank you, Jim Thome and TBS (for out-of-market broadcast). Oh, and Jenks, way to be!



2 cups softened butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3 cups packed brown sugar
4 eggs
5 teaspoons vanilla
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 bag milk chocolate chips
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 oz. white chocolate chips
Fleur de sel

1/ Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2/ Cream the butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla.
3/ In another bowl, mix together the flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
4/ Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
5/ Stir in the chocolate chips.
6/ Form and place golf-ball-size cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (note: I usually make them about 2 teaspoons of dough, which seems about right, and always use a Silpat.)
7/ Place a large pinch of fleur de sel on each cookie. (Note: this is out of the NYTimes perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe from this summer, and I think it's brilliant. I can't remember the last time I craved a chocolate chip cookie, but the cookies with salt are crave-worthy. But I've been told it's not universally beloved, so since most of this batch is being shipped out, I only put salt on the ones I was keeping for myself.)
8/ Bake for 9 minutes. (They won't look like they're done, but the sugar will continue cooking even when they're out of the oven.)

No comments: