Friday, December 7, 2007

Lemon Cookies With Lemon Glaze

I am happy that some of us are making holiday cookies, even if it's not in the cards for me this year. Per Elizabeth's requests, I'm posting two of my favorites. These lemon cookies are a nice alternative to lemon squares because they are much more easily transported and still have all the lemony goodness. I suggest doubling the recipe if you're going to give them away. The original single recipe says it makes 3 dozen, but I seem to remember it being closer to 2 dozen.


Ingredients:
Cookies:
• ¾ cup granulated sugar
• 2 tablespoons lemon zest
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 ¾ cup flour
• ¼ teaspoon of salt
• ¼ teaspoon baking powder
• 12 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
• 1 egg yolk
• ½ teaspoon vanilla.

Glaze:
• 1 tablespoon cream cheese
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 ½ cup powdered sugar

Instructions:
1. In a food processor, combine sugar and lemon zest until sugar is damp and lemon peel is finely chopped.
2. Add flour, salt, and baking powder to sugar. Pulse 10 times.
3. Sprinkle in cubes of butter. Pulse again, 15 times. (It should look like corn meal)
4. In a separate bowl, beat together lemon juice, egg yolk, and vanilla with a fork.
5. Add lemon juice mixture to flour mixture. Process until dough makes a ball.
6. Remove dough and roll it into a log. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
7. Slice and bake at 375 for about 14 minutes, until edges are golden brown.
8. To make glaze, combine ingredients in mixer. If glaze requires more liquid, add more lemon juice.
9. After cookies are completely cook, glaze and store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 3 dozen.

1 comment:

HEB said...

My mom makes these cookies, too, and they are really high up on my list of things I like to eat. (Even higher than cinnamon wheat thins with cream cheese.) I like them served cold, although room temperature is nice, too.