Sunday, May 30, 2010

raw rhubarb does freeze well!

I'd bought some rhubarb at the beginning of the month but didn't have time to make anything out of it. Ms. CAM kindly cut it up and put it in my freezer, awaiting a three-day weekend (and didn't even mention that most hostesses don't ask their guests to prep and freeze food for later consumption). In between then and today, Smitten posted rustic rhubarb tarts. So, thanks to both CAM and Smitten, I've enjoyed two today and am trying to stop myself from enjoying my third. Not that I've ever been picky about my rhubarb, but this recipe is definitely a winner.

I followed the by-hand directions, because I also dragged Ms. CAM around central Connecticut trying to track down a pastry blender (for the rhubarb pie that she never got to eat). Apparently, multiple Williams-Sonoma stores haven't been able to order pastry blenders quickly enough to meet demand. I managed to snag the last one at Macy's, though, and it was worth it. No more cutting in butter with two knives for me!

I modified the recipe a little because I didn't have corn flour and didn't feel like tracking it down just for 1 cup. And I did have about 3/4 c. graham flour and thought that its sweetness would work well with the rhubarb. I replaced all of the corn meal with graham flour and the corn flour with 3/4 c. regular flour and 1/4 c. graham flour. The crust may have turned out heavier, but I've got no complaints.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's a really awesome discovery! I haven't seen rhubarb at my farmer's market yet, and I think I may have somehow missed it. The tragedy! These look delicious, and I'm so glad you had time to make them! Yay heb.

kzwick said...

When I saw SK's original post on these, I thought of your rubarb pie that you make and about how I do not know how to make pies but how I loved that one. I'm glad you had time to try these out as they seem more doable than a whole pie. Plus, Tuesday is farmer's market day, so maybe I'll give them a try on your encouragement.