Sunday, September 6, 2009

this one was worth it

Blueberry Swirl Ice Cream Sandwiches

I fell in love with the idea of these sandwiches, which were on the cover of Gourmet's August 2009 issue. However, I also pretty much simultaneously fell in love with a batch of KZ's homemade graham crackers that she made while visiting, so I decided to tweak the recipe to accommodate the graham-love.

The sandwich layers turned out a little odd, much more caramelized than I anticipated. However, all-in-all, I'm pretty pleased with these. If I make them again, I will probably stick with the lemon ice cream as in the original, since I think the tartness would be extra delicious.

Here's the recipe with my mods:

For ice cream:

  • 2 pints vanilla ice cream
  • Blueberry compote
For blueberry compote:
  • 2 cups blueberries (10 ounces)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 (3-by 2 1/2-inch) strips lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For sandwich layers:
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup graham flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Equipment: 2 (8-inch) square baking pans (2 inches deep); a small offset spatula

Blueberry compote:

Cook blueberries, sugar, and zest in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, thoroughly crushing blueberries with a potato masher, until juices are released and sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.

Stir together lemon juice and cornstarch, then stir into blueberry mixture. Boil, stirring, 1 minute (mixture will thicken).

Transfer blueberry compote to a bowl and chill until cold, about 1 hour. Discard lemon zest.

Sandwich layers:
Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle. Butter baking pans and line with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang on each side, then butter parchment paper.

Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat together butter and brown sugar in another bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. At low speed, add flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing until just combined.

Divide batter between baking pans and spread into thin, even layers with offset spatula. Bake until golden-brown but still tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely in pans, about 30 minutes.

Assemble sandwiches:
Dollop tablespoons of blueberry compote all over ice cream, then swirl it gently through ice cream with a spoon. Spoon all of ice cream over 1 sandwich layer (in pan) and spread evenly using clean offset spatula. Invert second sandwich layer over ice cream, pressing gently to form an even sandwich. Wrap baking pan in plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.

Transfer sandwich to a cutting board using overhang. Cut into 12 pieces. (Eat with a fork because the sandwich layers are super sticky.)

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You have had a very productive weekend!

HEB said...

Just the opposite, I'm afraid.

kzwick said...

Wow, those do look delicious. I have been looking at them on the cover of gourmet for awhile now, and wondering if they're worth it. I'll have to give it a shot. Glad you got some use out of the graham ingredients I forced you to buy!

HEB said...

Zwick, I actually made graham crackers the same weekend that I made these sandwiches. Except I ate the graham crackers a lot faster than the ice cream sandwiches. I think that graham crackers may join the category of food that I can't control myself around so therefore am not allowed to make. (I might have to make them one more time just to be sure.)