Sunday, January 18, 2009

wheatberry salad

After visiting the Washington Hotel Coffee Room over the holidays (better known, perhaps, to some of you as the coffee shop attached to the amazing yarn store in Madison), I've been itching to try to recreate their wheatberry salad. Luckily, my mother gifted me a bag of wheatberries, as they are relatively hard to track down. Also luckily, I found this recipe online. It's a fairly flexible recipe, so I modified it to get closer to the salad I remembered. Here's how: 1 cup of each carrots and celery, diced; used chickpeas; omitted parsley, onions and fennel; topped with feta cheese. Super easy!And, oh man, is it tasty! It is also incredibly hearty. Even though I was eating dinner after 9 pm having daydreamed about this salad most of the day, I still only made it through about half of what I'd served myself. All in all, this recipe is definitely a winner. (Although the next time I make it, I will use about half as much olive oil, since there was a lot left in the bottom of the bowl after I'd dished out lunches for the week.)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So, are wheatberries like barley?

I am suddenly really in the mood for grain+feta salad. Yum.

kzwick said...

How long does this keep. It looks like it would be great to take to lunch. Would it be good for a week?

HEB said...

It definitely lasts for a week (plus, even). Just today for lunch I had some that I made last week and it was still tasty! (Just don't add the feta until it's ready to be served.)