Sunday, July 6, 2008

Pesto, it can happen to anyone

I'm growing basil in a pot on my back porch, and it's producing like crazy. Thus, every so often, I am forced forced to trim off big bunches. And as everyone knows, big bunches of basil means pesto making.

However, I don't tend to keep pinenuts (a key pesto ingredient) on hand, but I tend to forget this until the basil is pureed with lots of olive oil. What to do?

This time, I had a bunch of pecans so I threw some of those in, and while I wasn't totally sure, it actually turned out really tasty. Not a pure pesto, but it had an interesting, meaty (like hearty, not like meat) flavor. I know am curious what other nuts will do to the basil and olive oil mix. Or what about different oils?? Sesame? I don't know, but I would love to hear if anyone else has experimented with this, and what they have discovered.

No comments: